Thursday, September 01, 2005

Jimi

I thought I'd regale you for a moment (especially because I wanted to use the word "regale") while I speak about the long-donged Jimi Hendrix.

I have been listening to the one record of his that I have at this moment, Are You Experienced?, though I do plan on asking for some of his other discs for the b-day and Christmas. And the album is scorchin'. I enjoy the guitar work in music more than any other aspect (though vocals usually have the "main stage" in a song if you will). And Jimi Hendrix was one of the best guitar players. Ever. And he played left-handed. So, he might be another inspiration if I decide to take up the axe. (He was so badass he played a right-handed guitar left-handed.)

He died young at 27, of a barbiturate overdose, I believe. It will have been 35 years ago on September 18.

I don't know; I'm not really philosophical in any way, but I find him to be an icon. To me, his music had such a distinct sound. Yes, you could put your finger on the era, but I don't think The Jimi Hendrix Experience sounded like anyone else then or now.

One of my favorite musicians, and badasses, Jimi Hendrix. (Trivia note: the last house I lived in, we had neighbors up the street who had two daughters, Lana and Jimi. And she had to have been named after him. Trust me, if you had see these flower children, you would agree.)

No comments: