Tuesday, September 27, 2005

birthday gone by

Yesterday was my 22nd birthday. It was just another day really. I had a pleasant weekend, which included a K-State football game on Saturday and a visit to Wichita through Sunday. Gretchen and I had a few nice meals; I opened some presents (a Nintendo Gamecube and a Michael Graves’ Scrabble set among others).

Then, on Monday, my official b-day, it was another day at work, Yet, that was followed by an enjoyable get-together that evening. Aaron had some people over for the Chiefs football game, and when he found out it would coincide with my birthday, he promptly changed it to a football/birthday party. Pizza Hut and Michelob Light ruled the evening, as Brad and Bekka came over to help us celebrate. There was some domination in Catchphrase before the night was over. In the end, a successful birthday indeed.

Tonight, it’s back to reality. After work, I’ll have to take care of some necessities in life, including setting up a dentist’s appointment, doing laundry, checking the oil in my car, and cleaning my room. Another important task, for Aaron and I both, is to help finish the “torpedo” of Michelob Light that we picked up last night. With poor help from the football fans (only Aaron, Brad, and I helped to tackle the torpedo last night, no pun intended), Aaron and I have to noble task of finishing it off this evening. And it shall be done.

In other news, the baseball season is really exciting right now. There are only two teams guaranteed playoffs spots right now, with roughly six games to play. Four teams in the hunt play each other the final weekend. Basically, it will be a playoff series to get into the playoffs. That’s good stuff. Still, in the end, the Cardinals will final win a World Series that’s been due to them (23 years, I think; that’s older than I am). Go Cards.

Secondly, I’m in no position to chastise people for lack of blog entries (I went through a spurt where I didn’t blog for weeks), but I have a listen of friends who have blogs that I check upon frequently, and some of those have been sitting a long time without a new entry. I understand a busy schedule, or a feeling of apathy, or writer’s block too, I just thought I’d give a bit motivation, in hopes that maybe that’s just what you needed to get writing again. Feel free to mock and belittle me, if that would help spark some of your creative juices.

And in the end, you probably wonder why I’m blogging at this hour of the morning (obviously I’m at work). Well, after my boss and I had a chat last Friday, saying I should be “aggressive” when it comes to pursuing work (from others in the office), since that’s the position I’m in currently. I’m still learning, and will be for a while I’m sure. I was accepting tasks from Bob Gregory, the piping operations manager, but David seemingly was giving me the green light to go pursue work from Gene, sheet metal operations manager, and Steve, loft project manager. Yet, currently, I’m in a lull, simply because they are all absent at this moment. So, I can drum up some work to occupy myself after this writing, and I will do my best to be “aggressive,” as David said (though David can be a smooth-talking motivator type). I think once I start estimating, meaning doing takeoff on a drawing with the cool digitizer board and pen, I will start fitting better into the company. Patience is key. I think it takes anywhere from three to six months to get situated in any particular work atmosphere. And we’ll see how it goes. I’m just going to soak up all the mechanical contracting I can and take it from there.

No comments: