Tuesday, September 20, 2005

interesting developments

At the risk of becoming a one-topic blog, I must again mention Ween. This shall be the last for a while, I promise.

Anyway, I was excited about the Ween show coming up in Lawrence on 11/29/05. I knew tickets were first on sale this past Saturday at 10 AM. I ended up trying to buy once Sunday around noon at the K-state bookstore (I was in Manhattan for the weekend), but the young lady didn't know how to connect to the Ticketmaster server. No worries yet. After returning to Kansas City that night, i tried again to order tickets, this time online. My credit card was rejected for no good reason. Four times. (I have no current balance, and as far as I know, it hasn't been stolen). This led into a vexing Monday, where I tried once by phone and again by internet. This time the response was far more dire. It seemed the tickets sold out. I was completely bummed. All because of various obstacles (none of which was my negligence to attempt to buy tickets), I was now planning on not attending that Lawrence show.

Monday night, I decided that, well, Omaha isn't that far. Ween is having a show in Omaha, Nebraska on Tuesday evening. A lot of driving for one show, and what is sure to be a drag-ass Wednesday morning, after getting back at probably 2 or 3 AM, but we should all ask ourselves "would I drive six hours round-trip in night to see [insert your favorite band here]?" I answered yes, and ordered tickets for Gretchen and myself. (As an aside, and a bit of trivia, back in May 2003, Gretchen and I traveled to Columbia, MO for a Ween show, round trip about 8 hours. Of course, we could sleep in the next day, classes be damned. As a bonus bit of trivia, Dan Typaldos was planning on attending this concert with us, yet due to a late night in studio, found his car to be wearing a "boot," and for reasons I still don't fully understand, decided to pass on the concert opportunity).

The interesting development occurred today. I had a little downtime at work (much like at this moment) and thought, "what the hey, I'll check Ticketmaster online for the Lawrence show." Sure enough, like Murphy's Law come to life, tickets were aplenty. Well, non-refundable means non-refundable, so Gretchen and I are going to Omaha. But, then I pondered, while growing slightly ecstatic at the thought, TWO Ween shows in TWO nights? What a concept.

The one catch to the plan, and I feared it, was Gretchen herself. She enjoys Ween to an extent, but if I had to guess, I would equate her love for Ween (my favorite band) to my love for fondue (one of her favorite foods). I like it every once in awhile, but I wouldn't want it every night. Same for her and Ween, I would guess. Yet, at lunch today, I offered up to her an "exciting proposition." She was not enthralled initially at the idea, but as she saw the joy in my eyes....she reluctantly said, "whatever you want to do." What a woman! For me, she will endure 6 combined hours of live music (even though their live show rules) and 7 combined hours of driving (along with probably 5 or 6 hours of sacrificed sleep), just so I can enjoy my favorite band. That is a sacrifice much appreciated.

And as for me, BOOM! Two Ween shows. I'm psyched, needless to say. Yes, a little pricey for the four tickets total, but I at least find it to be money well-spent.

1 comment:

jill m said...

she's a keeper! good thing you put a ring on her finger :)