Friday, April 21, 2006

loathing dogs

I don't mean to offend dog lovers, but I've come to the recent conclusion that I loathe dogs. And, you know, I'm sure yours is the perfect dog, but I'll tell you the ones that stick in my mind.

It's the ones that live on every side of our new house that bark constantly the second they see you or someone walking down the street. It's the ones that jump up on you ten times, even though their owner tells them each time to get down or sit or whatever. It's the ones you hear about on the news that are ripping at the throats of 3-year-olds and 80-year-olds (usually it's pit bulls).

I know that I'm generalizing. And I shouldn't. I've met some find and upstanding dogs in my day. But it's not just dogs that can't behave. It's what dogs have done to the human race. Or perhaps we've done it to ourselves.

We dress these asshole dogs up in clothing. They don't need clothing. There are doggy ice cream treats on the market. And on and on.

And while I first heard it from Jerry Seinfeld in his stand-up act a while back, he makes an excellent point. If visitors from another planet came to observe Earth, they would see dogs leading humans around and the humans are picking up their shit. He posed the question: who would the aliens think were the dominant species?

Some people border on being slaves to their dogs and it amazes me. I know that you have to give time to your dog, or it will be one of those misbehaving psycho dogs, but it seems like a delicate balance could be found. But what do I know?

I'm a hamster and fish guy myself. (Ah, one of the neighbor dogs is going on one of his barking binges. Perfect time to end my post.)

No comments: