Friday, October 28, 2005

old Halloween costumes - a history of those I can recall

I was reminiscing earlier as I tried to get through the last half-hour of work today, and I was thinking back to some of my older Halloween costumes. (This year, I shall be a Scrabble tile.)

year unknown - a devil (cliched, yes, but it was elementary school). the embarassing thing was my mom wouldn't spring for a real pitchfork, so she helped me make one with a dowel and construction paper. it was awful. the kids at school that day with "real" manufactured plastic pitchforks put me to shame.

2000 - Pearl Jam vocalist, Eddie Vedder. I pulled off the look well, with "grunge" clothes, mine specifically being a sweaty Italian t-shirt and unbuttoned plaid shirt. I also had a plastic microphone. And I nailed the voluptuous singing voice of Vedder himself as well.

2001 - Hugh Hefner, Playboy mogul. I got the perfect robe at Wal-Mart, some gray hair paint, and a stogie. And Ron's girlfriend, now fiancee, was one of my Bunnies. It turned out well for a "last-second" costume (I think I started figuring it out on the 29th or so).

2002 - Nathan Schutte, architectural student/douchebag. Oh, did I loathe that man. And I nailed his look too. If only I had driven a motorcycle to the party. I borrowed the newsie, old-man hat from Brad. I had the shades. I had the black jeans and the sweater vest. BOOM! What an excellent tribute to the man I despised so dearly. (I'm a modest man, not really one to desire to be in the spotlight, but I remember Bill Miller gave me the "best in show" award for Halloween costumes that one day in class. I was proud that my effort was recognized.) Also, I brought a Smurf to the party. Aren’t I a stud?
A Schutte aside: I still recall the first incident that set me off and birthed my dislike for Nathan Schutte. It was a second year mid-crit for McNamara. Schutte comes strutting in out of nowhere in the middle of my crit, donning his fancy boy hat. Of course, he’s his douchey self on this day. “UH, if you think that section is gonna work, then give me some of what you’re smoking, because it must be good.” Fuck you. Don’t worry about what I smoke, either. What a jackass.

2003 – Mr. Fred Rogers, may he rest in peace. I had my grandpa’s old cashmere sweater. I wore the old shirt and tie, and I think I changed my shoes when I got to Ron’s. Man, I loved that show.

2004 – Napoleon Dynamite. And, you know what? I was Napoleon before half the people in the world knew who he was. It was before the movie became huge. It was popular at the time, but not HUGE. Not everyone even knew who I was. I had the hair at the time, so I went with it. I bought the cool snow boots too. Still have them and wear them when appropriate. At the football game the next day, some cock yelled, “Fuck Pedro, the Red Sox’s fucking suck!” (I had the “Vote for Pedro” shirt on.) Not Pedro Martinez, you idiot. What a dolt. If I weren’t alone and the dude wasn’t a meathead oaf who was drunk off his ass, AND I was confrontational at all, I would have kicked his ASS. I miss that hair now…

Good times indeed. What’s your favorite costumes from years passed? Share a few. Be a friend. Have a good Halloween if I don’t see you.

No comments: