Friday, September 08, 2006

Two vexing problems

Though these issues are rather trite, I'm wondering if anyone has
these problems like I do.

Lately, I've been fighting allergies (I don't know to what
specifically I'm allergic to; something in nature is what I've
narrowed it down to). Anyway, it's led to a runny nose, sneezing, and
general chest congestion. The problem that plagues me is that when I
blow my nose with a tissue, because of my manly stubble, I get these
particles of tissue stuck in the "mustache" I have (I quote it because
I'm not growing a mustache; it's just the hair that forms after a day
or two of growth…as an unrelated aside, I'm having to shave about
every other day now and needless to say, it's quite an inconvenience).
Am I the only who is having this tissue in the 'stache problem? I'm
surmising that this is the reason that the handkerchief was invented,
most probably by a man suffering from this very problem. My opinion of
the handkerchief was always one of disgust, but perhaps now I can see
why carrying around a rag of dried snot might have its benefits.
Monogrammed perhaps? (X-mas isn't too far off, you know, and it'd make
a fine gift. For me, to be specific.)

(Edit: Gretchen got a sneak preview of this post, and said there was no way I was carrying around gross handkerchiefs. I guess she'll get used to me having a flaky, papery mustache then.)

The other problem that has irked me as of late are what I have deemed
"unwieldy" box flaps. Normally that refers to something that is
awkward or hard to handle (like an armoire perhaps). In this case, I
mean a box flap that is not easy to penetrate at initial use or that
does not easily clasp once it is broken in. The top of a box of cereal
is probably the most common example. It really bothers me when doesn't
clasp like it should or it simply gets torn off when the box is open
or that it won't even go together with ease. They've had this box flap
thing for decades now, I'm sure, and I figure they would have
perfected the design by this point. It's quite possibly my anal side
coming out, but I really prefer having those boxes clasped with the
flap, as they should be, prior to putting them away in the pantry. Is
that really to much to ask, you cereal mogul sons-of-bitches?

No comments: