Friday, September 08, 2006

Steve Irwin



While it's turned into overkill at this point, it is weird how
gripping and affecting this story has become. I'll admit, it stunned
me when I heard the news that a stingray had stung the Crocodile
Hunter in the chest, ironically while he was doing some "soft pieces" for
his daughter's television show, due to inclement weather postponing
his more dangerous shoot.

I haven't quite figured out why it has affected me like it did. Maybe
I just had that idea stuck in my head that he was somehow invincible
(a farce I know, but you get what I'm saying: he tackled alligators,
taunted snakes by the tail, and constantly stared death in the face).
I never watched the guy regularly. I was still stunned when I first
heard he had died, but was more amazed when it was due to an attack
from a normally docile animal. He had no idea it was coming (not that
he was expecting it whenever he held a king cobra by the neck, but I
bet the adrenaline was pumping a little at that point), and if had
been hit anywhere other than directly in the heart, he might still be
here.

In the end, I think it was the combination of Steve Irwin, this
energetic and cool TV personality, dying, the animal that actually
took his life, and the incredibly small chances of him actually dying
from such an attack (I'm assuming only a strike to the heart, a major
artery or vein, or the brain, if that were possible) that probably
took me aback.

It's just kind of weird, you know? It isn't affecting me like a family
member dying or anything, don't read into it like that, it's just one
of those stories that catches you by surprise. (Dimebag Darrell from
Pantera was probably the last celebrity that really shocked me when
they died, when he was shot at a concert in December of '04. See some details about it here.)

No comments: