Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Thanksgiving entendres

Two days from Thanksgiving. Love it. Especially since I eat a lot, though I'm getting fat now and that means I'll have to start watching how much I eat. I'll start the day after Thanksgiving, of course. Man, do I love stuffing.

The funny thing is how much Thanksgiving can change from year to year. I'm sure some of us have had the same Thanksgiving at the same place with the same people every year. And it's great. It was like that for me and my family for a while. The past few years, though, it's been different. My grandma passed in 2001, and that made for a different crowd. For several years, it had been, me, mom, dad, brother, aunt, uncle, grandma, and at some point my brother and sister-in-law with kids (they have a busy schedule on holidays and arrive when they can). The next year, my aunt and uncle separated and eventually divorced. So, the uncle was gone. Then, in 2004, my dad died. That was what threw us for the biggest loop.

That's the double-edged sword that is the holidays. You get together with the people you love and it's a good time. But you can't help but remember the people that aren't there this time around. And you reminisce and you all still have fun, but it's a little sad deep down. This year, I know several people who will be having "different" Thanksgivings because a close family member has died, or a recent breakup has occurred. But, and I usually don't like to get too "mushy" as I call it, that's what is good about holidays. They help you realize that you're lucky to be with the people that you're with, and you can be reminded of what really matters in the end. Those first holidays where someone isn't where they usually are can be hard to handle sometimes, but I think they make everyone stronger in the end.

To even out this post, I shall transcipt a e-mail forward I received this morning, which I find to be hilarious. I rarely forward things, unless I find them truly funny. This is to get everyone through the short workweek to turkey time. Have a happy Thanksgiving.

Things you can only say on Thanksgiving:
1. Talk about a huge breast.
2. Tying the legs together keeps the inside moist.
3. It's Cool Whip time.
4. If I don't undo my pants, I'll burst.
5. That's one terrific spread.
6. I'm in the mood for a little dark meat.
7. Are you ready for seconds yet?
8. It's a little dry, do you still want to eat it?
9. Just wait your turn, you'll get some.
10. Don't play with your meat.
11. Just spread the legs open and stuff it in.
12. Do you think you'll be able to handle these people all at once?
13. I didn't expect everyone to come at once.
14. You still have a little bit on your chin.
15. How long will it take after you stick it in?
16. You'll know it's ready when it pops up.
17. Wow, I didn't think I could handle all of that.
18. That's the biggest one I've ever seen.

No comments: