Wednesday, November 30, 2005

jolly good show

Monday, Gretchen and I attended the Ween show in Lawrence, Kansas.

And it was epic. I don’t just throw that word around either. It was their first show of the winter tour, so they must have had a lot of energy to play.

Three hours and forty minutes. 44 songs total. Ten song encore. It was worth missing a couple hours of sleep. A massive show. My favorite band played for almost four hours. It was great.

Unfortunately, I didn’t end up going to the Omaha show last night. I didn’t feel like making the drive three hours each way, and I couldn’t nail anyone down to use the second ticket (Gretchen said she would, but I couldn’t drag her to another three hour show along with a six hour drive. She was dragging ass Tuesday, because she was a trooper Monday). After deciding not to go, I tried to at least get rid of the tickets. Online, I got a message from a guy who said his friends might drive from Omaha and get the tickets, but I think I responded too late, because they never gave me a call. No worries.



In other news, I played some roller hockey with Ron and his NorCo (North County) friends last Friday when I was back in St. Louis for Thanksgiving. I was worried about my skills, since it had been at least four or five years since I had played last.

Honestly, I did alright. I wasn’t used to roller blades without a heel brake either, but it wasn’t as hard as I had feared. I broke a thorough sweat, which I usually do, and Ron and I held our own in the informal two-on-two tournament. It’s rekindled my interest in rollerblading and roller hockey now too. Gretchen and I are going to get new pairs of rollerblades (for Christmas perhaps?…wink wink) and start exercising that way. And, I might look into roller hockey leagues in the area, since I consider myself, and I’m usually pretty modest, an average roller hockey player. We’ll see what happens.

Also, in my current fervor about roller hockey, I have been surfing around looking at websites on the topic. One of the most intriguing I’ve come across is the NCRHA website. That stands for National Collegiate Roller Hockey Association. Though it’s only a club sport, there is a large amount of participation. There has to be a couple hundred teams involved. I was surprised at its popularity. I also enjoyed the informal nature of some of the teams. Like K-State’s, for example, who are currently 0-8 on the season: “Practices will be held from 7-9 Pm on all Mondays (except Holidays) at the Junction City Roller Rink. The travel team will be chosen from those who attend these practices. The practices are open to all students at K-State.” So, you or I easily could have made the team and played on any given week. Perhaps. Maybe I’m underestimating the talent our team possesses. Anyway, check it out. www.ncrha.org. Not to be confused with www.ncrha.com, unless you want to learn about riding horses or their upcoming silent auction.


One of the guys we played with last Friday supposedly played for the Mizzou club team. If anyone's wondering, I scorched him.

Have a good rest of the month.

No comments: