Sunday, March 06, 2005

beat to sh*t

My face has gotten scorched the past few weekends. Last Sunday, I was playing in our last intramural basketball game of the season (we lost 69-40, but it was one of our better efforts, I would say), and I proceeded to trip while running, sending me forward towards the ground. At that point, my lip met the heel of one of my opponent's shoes. Spurting and gushing blood was the result.

I went to the trainer's room and applied pressure, and the guy said I shouldn't need stitches. At this point in time, it now being one week later, and it still breaks open everyday, I have a notion to disagree with his initial diagnosis. I might go grab a few stitches in the next day or so.

The carnage has just begun though. Yesterday, while playing soccer with seven or so of my friends and eight to ten other players (some of the them being pretty damn good, which usually means a little too intense and serious), it was coming towards the end of the game when I came up to challenge this dude with the ball.

He juked me, a good move admittedly, but somehow managed to smack/punch me in the face as he passed by. While I'm sure it was accidental, if you hit someone with your hand, you can usually feel where you hit them. I received no inquiries about my health, nor apologies for the action. Again, accidental, but that still warrants some reciprocal action. Thanks a lot, fat guy.

So, once more, I got to savor the tasty and calming experience of blood gushing and pouring from my face. Twice in one week. Aren't I lucky? I used my now-retired white t-shirt to sop up the blood. So, it's slightly sore and a bit swollen, and I'll probably get it checked out when I go grab the few stitches that I need. Is it broken? I don't believe so, but damn it, Jim, I'm NOT a doctor, so who knows what's really going on?

I just need to address this issue of "non-competitive" sports. I think the operable prefix is "non." People need to remember it is just a game, I don't care what you're out to prove. That why our basketball team enjoyed practicing on Thursday more than playing on Sundays. The seriousness with which people played sucked the fun out of it when the time came.

But, I digress. I have to go blow more dark red mucous from my nose. (Soon, I'll post a picture of my t-shirt, aka battle fatigue.)

No comments: