Wednesday, March 22, 2006

musicians I wish I'd seen and BOB HUGGINS

The following is a list of musicians I wish I had had the chance to see (and the past tense I use in the case of a few of the still active bands or musicians refers to them in their prime, b/c i just have a feeling that some of them just ain't the same today as they were 30 years ago):

Blind Melon
Jimi Hendrix
Bob Dylan
The Who
The Beatles
The Band
Pantera (I've seen them twice, but not until '99 and '01 -- just an electric show)

There are others, but they don't come to mind at this point.


I must admit that I am thoroughly excited about Bob Huggins becoming the new coach of Kansas State basketball. He has an amazing win percentage over 25 years of coaching (I think about .750). He's going to bring awesome recruits to the school, and K-State is going to become really good at basketball, which I think a lot of people had just come to accept wouldn't happen for a long time.

Others bring up his questionable past. He was asked to leave and his contract was bought out at the University of Cincinnati. This probably stemmed from several incidences involving his players and a DUI he has a few years ago. Seeing a timeline of his career might make one a bit skeptical of his character.

Yet, I trust him to do the best job he can do at coaching. I won't worry about his past, as checkered as it is, if he makes K-State basketball a success, which everyone is saying he will. It will be interesting to see how he pans out. Will it be more of the same? Will thug life transcend on Manhattan? Will there be another drunk driver on the road (just what Manhattan needs)? Only time will tell.

The Kansas City Star has a lot of related articles to this legitimately huge story. See the right side of the page for those.

No comments: