Tuesday, January 10, 2006

litigation

Society's litigiousness in this day and age absolutely enrages me.

Get your piece of the pie some other way, assholes.

My anger stems from a new book out that I'd like to read called "The True Stella Awards" by Randy Cassingham. It's a whole book about the ridiculous lawsuits you hear about in the news every now and then. The "Stella" referred to is the original idiot who sued McDonalds because she spilled her coffee, burned herself, and claimed it was too hot. The coffee was too hot. (After reading a bit further into the story, while I don't know the final outcome of the lawsuit, I did learn that McDonalds admits it heats its coffee to 180 degrees or some extreme temperature, so that people can't finish it all in one sitting, and keep coming up for refills. I assume it's aimed at all the elderly tightwads who frequent McDonalds for a 6 AM breakfast and 2-hour newspaper reading session.)

But it seems this knee-jerk reaction is prevalent in today's society, and while at times it's reasonable, for the most part it seems to be an irresponsible and greedy attempt to profit from an unfortunate situation. And, again, there are some instances where it might be suitable, but this book is filled with the ones that I'm sure will get your blood boiling and leave your mouth agape.

In other news, Gretchen and I just signed on a house. I guess there's no turning back now. Honestly, though, it's exciting. Oh, and I got a foosball table for Christmas, so I'm learning how to play foosball better now too.

Alright, back to work for another hour and a half. Have a good weekend.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

another peice of context in the McDonalds case, it came out in the trial that McDonalds had received numerous complaints, in writing, about the stability of the lids on their coffee cups. Many people had grabbed the cup to hard making the lid pop off spilling coffee all over the customer. McDonalds had made no attempt correct this problem...that coupled with the fact that they intentionally overheat their coffe, and the fact that they are a member of the axis of evil (McDonalds, Starbucks, and Walmart) I think they should get sued!!