Thursday, October 21, 2010

half-marathon analysis

Since 2004, I have run in four different half-marathons. After my most recent one on October 10, 2010, I think I've made the official decision to attempt a full marathon sometime during 2011. I know that the endurance and training required is on a whole other level, so I don't make this decision lightly. My friends Tim and Dave have told me focus on a triathlon of some sort next, but I'd rather stick to running at this point, before introducing swimming (which I'm very poor at) and bicycling to my 'repertoire,' as it were.

I'll try to keep everyone posted on any decisions and developments as we approach 2011.

It is fairly interesting to compare my half-marathon results, as I know my improvement in times relates fairly directly to weight, but probably also that I've grown better at pacing and probably gotten overall healthier as I've lived the past few years (minor stuff -- drinking more water, watching what I eat to an extent, the amount I eat, etc.).

Here they are, with date, age, weight, and time included:

4/18/2004 - Linz, Austria - age 20, 185 lbs. - 2:08:51
4/20/2008 - Lawrence, KS - age 24, 220 lbs. - 2:18:55
4/18/2010 - Lawrence, KS - age 26, 190 lbs. - 1:58:04
10/10/2010 - Wichita, KS - age 27, 180 lbs. - 1:56:50

I haven't thought far enough ahead at this point, so I'm not sure what to set for my goal time at this point. Logically, I would shoot for 4 hours, 30 minutes, but that's only a minute slower page than my fastest half-marathon time, which might be a fairly optimistic goal. We shall see.

On a related note, congrats to the aforementioned Dave Lodewyck, who successfully completed the 2010 Chicago Marathon that was also on October 10. He is one of my many inspirations.

No comments: